Tuesday, November 14, 2023

 

Stones and Windshields

 

 

What is it about stones and the big trucks carrying them that demands the two always end up to no good while I am on the road? Surely, operators and/or owners of gravel trucks must understand that loads of gravel must be covered and the covers must be secured to prevent loose stones damaging my windshield. Perhaps I am overconfident in my assessment of the businessmen who demand over--full loads of gravel and undersized covers that are securely in place.

Whatever. I only know that this week I was struck again with a golf-ball sized stone that came barreling at me from a large gravel truck. My poor windshield didn’t stand a chance.


Here is my windshield today.



I just learned that broken or damaged windshields are the number one insurance claim in the US with 30 % of all insurance claims going for repair of broken or damaged windshields. 

 The windshield manufacturers own a share of the problem. The largest share of claims (70 to 80%) for broken windshields comes from damage at the edge of the glass that results in a crack that grows from the edge to a central part of the windshield. This kind of damage is preventable and easily fixed with low-cost remedies. This damage is caused by residual stress in the glass when it is manufactured and installed. [The manufacturers do not like talking about this so there is little more that I can tell you. The best information on this topic comes from the Insurance Journal .com.]

I am now waiting for a new windshield to be installed at my expense. Why – because the insurance company that I send monthly checks to reminded me that sometime in the distant past I opted for a $500 deductible clause to my policy – an amount only slightly higher than my cost for installation of a new windshield. Happy Birthday, Bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment